The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP), is pleased to announce the shortlist for the ALPSP Awards for Innovation in Publishing 2021, sponsored by HighWire.
Applications for the annual awards were open to any new development, product, service or project which is both innovative and of significant value to scholarly communication. The winners are asked to demonstrate excellence in terms of originality, innovation, value to the community, utility and long-term viability.
The ALPSP Awards finalists for 2021 are:
- Antiracism Toolkit for Allies, Toolkits for Equity, an initiative of C4DISC
- Lean Library Futures, Lean Library, a SAGE Publishing Company
- Mindscape Commons, Coherent Digital
- Opening the Future, CEU Press / COPIM
- PLOS Community Action Publishing (CAP), PLOS
- Standalone Plain Language Summary of Publication Articles (PLSP), Future Science Group.
David Sommer, Chair of the judging panel, and co-founder at Kudos commented:
“The judging panel was pleased to receive submissions from a diverse range of organizations representing all parts of our community. We received 26 entries – slightly fewer entries than in previous years, which is understandable with the pandemic, but we are delighted to say that the standard has remained high. We congratulate everyone who have made this year’s shortlist.”
Wayne Sime, Chief Executive of ALPSP, added:
“With a wide spectrum of entries from different organizations across the world, it’s great to see that the sector is continuing to innovate and strive, even during a global pandemic. We’d like to thank the Awards Panel for reviewing all the submissions in meticulous detail, and are excited to virtually meet them all at the ALPSP Annual Conference in September.”
All the finalists will present their submission to the judges in July. They will be also invited to showcase their innovation to industry peers at the ALPSP Awards session to be held online on Wednesday 15 September at the opening of the ALPSP Virtual Conference & Awards 2021. The winners will be announced on the final day of the Conference on Friday 17 September.
- David Sommer, Chief Product Officer & Co-founder, Kudos (Chair)
- Andrew Barker, Director of Library Services and Learning Development, Lancaster University
- Kivmars Bowling, Publications Director, SIAM
- Iain Craig, Senior Director of Market & Publishing Analytics, Wiley
- Lorraine Estelle, Project Director, COUNTER
- Richard Gedye, Scholarly and Professional Publishing Consultant
- Athena Hoeppner, Discovery Services Librarian, University of Central Florida
- Robert Iannello, Senior Product Manager, ARM Education Media
- Louise Russell, Director, Tutton Russell Consulting
- David Smith, Head of Technology Strategy, The IET.