HighWire Press, Stanford University, and Dragonfly Sales and Marketing Consulting, led by Tom Taylor, have renewed their commitment to support scholarly publishers in their efforts to reach library consortia in accessing a collection of high-impact life science content from the Independent Scholarly Publishers Group (ISPG).
Working together with local sales agents during the past 18 months, Dragonfly, HighWire, and 23 HighWire-affiliated publishers have provided access to top research to over 950 institutions throughout the world: over 30 consortia from the United Kingdom (JISC) to Sweden (BIBSAM), and from Korea (KESLI) to Australia (CAUL).
“The Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) Library started a trial to the Independent Scholarly Publishers Group’s (ISPG) electronic journals in April, 2012. We chose to subscribe to the collection because 60% of our library’s total journal usage during the trial was from the ISPG publications,” said Wangqin, Librarian at CAMS. “Access to the ISPG journals is simple, they’re easy to search, and provide a valuable resource to our research community.”
Publishers who work with HighWire typically run separate subscriber databases. The ISPG cross-publisher consortia support project provides a seamless solution to the often complex nature of negotiating and managing titles from autonomous publishers. With this offering, librarians may negotiate titles collectively and gather their readers’ COUNTER usage reports across their entire consortium using a consolidated series of accounts on the HighWire portal.
“This combination of the right content, on the right host, with the right representation seems to be the magic of the success of ISPG,” said Bill Matthews, HighWire’s Director of Business Development. “We are pleased to offer this continued support to our publisher partners in their combined marketing efforts to reach the library consortia marketplace.”
Among the dedicated group of HighWire-affiliated publishers who benefit from this cooperative arrangement, are:
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Society for Nutrition
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Neuroradiology
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- British Editorial Society of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Company of Biologists
- Duke University Press
- European Respiratory Society
- Genetics Society of America
- Project Hope (Health Affairs)
- Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Society for the Study of Reproduction
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging