Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, is pleased to announce that seven LWW published journals have won 11 highly regarded awards in this year’s Apex Awards for Publication Excellence Competition, recognizing publishing excellence in a variety of categories. Emergency Medicine News took home the esteemed Grand Award for Excellence in the category of ‘Magapapers & Newspapers’.
APEX Awards are based on excellence in graphic design, editorial content and the ability to achieve overall communications excellence. APEX Grand Awards honor the outstanding works in each main category, while APEX Awards of Excellence recognize exceptional entries in each of the individual categories. Of the more than 3,300 entries in APEX 2011, just 100 Grand Award Winners were selected.
“We are delighted that multiple LWW published journals have been recognized as winners in 11 categories for their publishing excellence,” said Karen Abramson, President and CEO, Wolters Kluwer Health Medical Research. “Awards for editorial recognition are yet another measure of the important contributions our journals are making to their specialties. Congratulations to all of the honored editorial teams.”
LWW’s 11 category Excellence Award wins were given for the following:
- American Journal of Nursing: Writing – For Profit: “The Role of the Nurse in Combating Human Trafficking” (February 2011)
- Emergency Medicine News:
- Grand Award in the Magapapers & Newspapers, For Profit Small Office category (representing the most outstanding work in its category)
- Regular Departments & Columns category for the following articles: “Hieroglyphics 101 for the Medical Archeologist” (February 2010 issue); “Emergency Medicine in the Sticks” (September 2010 issue); and “How to Have a Successful Practice, or When a Funeral Puts Things in Perspective” (October 2010 issue)
- Photography for the Cover photo of the February 2010 issue
- Heart Insight, Magazines & Journals – Print (November, 2010)
- Nephrology Times, Magapapers & Newspaper Writing (February 2010)
- Neurology Today
- Feature Series Writing, “Neurology Lends a Helping Hand to Haiti” (Feb. 4, 2010); “After the Earthquake, Neurologists Rush to Haiti – What They Did and What They Saw” (March 18, 2010); and “After the Earthquake, Military Neurologists Unite to Help the Sick and Wounded” (April 1, 2010)
- One-of-a Kind-Custom-Published Publications, (Feb. 4, 2010)
- Oncology Times
- News Writing, “Duke Scandal Shines Light on Systemic Problems in High-Throughput Experiments” (Sept. 10, 2010)
- News Series Writing, “Proton Beam Radiation Therapy: Balancing Evidence-based Use with the Bottom Line” (2010: March 25, April 10, April 25, May 10, and May 25)
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Home Pages
The Apex Annual Awards for Publication Excellence Competition is open to communicators in corporate, nonprofit and independent settings. Sponsored by the Editors of Writing That Works, the bimonthly newsletter for communicators who write, edit and manage business publications has been recognizing publishing excellence since 1988.