Lost Island Labs Ltd (LIL) have, in association with Academic Concept Knowledge Ltd (AQnowledge), released version 2.2 of the Utopia Documents web-enabled PDF-reader for scientific content.
In addition to the previously released features for exploring an article’s content, PDFs from eLife, Springer, PLOS, BMC and the open access articles in PubMed Central are now dynamically enriched with ‘active references’, enabling users to see the details of in-text citations at a glance, and to retrieve the cited articles (where access rights permit) with a single click. The convenience for researchers and students of this feature alone makes Utopia Documents a ‘must-have’.
Among Utopia Documents’ standard features are the following:
- A format style-customizable citation, provided by CrossRef
- The Altmetric score, which is an indication of article impact via blogs, social networking sites, and the media
- Links to related articles, provided by Mendeley
- Copyright information, provided by Sherpa/RoMEO
- Related data from an international repository, provided by Dryad
- Drug Discovery information, provided by SciBite
- Relevant laboratory materials, provided by AQnowledge
- ‘Highlight-and-explore’, providing links to other relevant resources.
Utopia Documents is freely available for Mac, Windows and Linux and can be downloaded from http://utopiadocs.com